Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Unforgettable Band


Every time i buy a U2 album, i tell myself "Maybe this is the one that will suck."But it never does.Don't ask me why.If i knew that a lot would have been known about the world today.30 years have passed yet they rage on and electrify listeners across the globe.
I was 11 years old when received my first U2 album-"Rattle and Hum".The last song on the album "all i want is you" had blew me away.Bono's ethereal voice soaring over Edge's mellow guitars,the driving bass and the drums laden below was like a drug to the ear.The very next day my uncle gifted me another U2 album 'The Unforgettable Fire."After listening to 'a sort of homecoming' i realized that people didn't call them the biggest band in the world for nothing.It was the most beautiful thing i had ever heard.
The integrity and passion they have for music is palpable in all their songs.Its not just the music but also about the message they spread.I remember watching a dvd of their concert in Chicago.As Bono was raising awareness about poverty in Africa Edge started playing the intro to 'one'.That brought shivers down my spine.Few people know that Bono is the only person on the planet to have received a Nobel Prize nomination along with a Grammy award,Golden Globe and an Oscar nomination(for best soundtrack).
I know it sounds weird but being U2 fan makes me proud.Music would be fucking shit without them.
Heres a list of the U2 songs that actually left a deep imprint somewhere within me.
/A Sort Of Homecoming
/One
/With or Without You
/Beautiful Day
/Where the Streets Have No Name
/Kite
/All I Want Is You
/Miracle Drug
/Who's Gonna Run Your Wild Horses
/Walk On

2 comments:

Anurag said...

Nice post. Never really looked at U2 this way. Strangely, I was also around 10 or 11 when I first heard 'Beautiful Day', though I can't say i was blown away. Maybe i'll give them another chance.

topshe said...

I agree with you. For once. :-P Nice blog.